- 前羽球世界冠军黄穗失踪3年复出 代表外国参赛_新闻_腾讯网 –
- 周恩来专机遭多次转卖 在田野中停放近两年(图)_新闻_腾讯网 –
- 重庆市委号召学习党报文章统一思想明确方向_新闻_腾讯网 –
- 绿城财报：真实的谎言 – 房产·汽车 – 21世纪网 – just how much of a financial mess is chinese developer greentown in?
- “蓝帽”保健品乱象追踪：螺旋藻涉事企业曾进京公关 – 医药·食品 – 21世纪网 – chinese health food products not all healthy? shocked…
- 湖南高速震荡：“老交通”陈明宪受贿落马 – 产经快讯 – 21世纪网 – 核心提示：3月29日，湖南纪委发布消息称：陈明宪涉嫌在高速公路工程招标等环节严重违纪问题已被立案调查。
- 银监会铁腕整治银行乱收费 – 快讯与传闻 – 21世纪网 – crackdown on bank fees underway, wen's monopoly comments part of broader anti-bank "populism"?
- 京韵大鼓 《丑末寅初》 骆玉笙 – YouTube –
- Youku Gets License to Publish Content on Mobile Devices – Caixin Online – Youku Inc. received a license from the General Administration of Press and Publication that will allow it to provide video and audio content to mobile devices.
Youku received the license on April 5. It will also allow the leading video portal company in China to produce its own video and audio content. The firm was already producing programs for young people, but has not been providing content to mobile devices.
Youku is one of China's YouTube equivalents, with the important difference that viewers also use it to watch TV shows and films.
The company said the license meant it had become a mainstream platform for video programs.
Under rules enacted in August 2002, videos produced by web portals must get GAPP approval.
A senior executive for another video portal company said the firms were prompted to get licenses similar to the one Youku received because of increased government supervision.
- Corruption’s Silver Lining – Caixin Online – caixin ever hopeful//
Political reform should be carried out through practical steps that clearly define the powers of party and government, and the ways the people can monitor government action, according to the rule of law. This will help speed up democratization.
No doubt the road ahead is fraught with complexities and risks, one that many fear to tread. But after more than 30 years of reform and opening up, the social, economic, cultural and political changes that have been wrought have laid a solid foundation for us. Its determination to curb corruption offers China the perfect opportunity to launch comprehensive political reforms.
In his final year as premier, Wen has signaled with his words that his government is still pressing on with unfinished business. The sense of mission should not be lost on the next government.
- Leading Tiananmen-era Chinese dissident dies in U.S – chicagotribune.com – BEIJING (Reuters) – One of China's most famous dissidents at the time of Beijing's June 4, 1989, crackdown on pro-democracy activists has died in the United States, exiled dissidents said on Saturday.
Fang Lizhi, 76, lived in Tucson where he was a physics professor at the University of Arizona. He died of natural causes, according to the Twitter feed of Wu Renhua, a dissident living in exile in the United States.
- Zhongdian Center –
- PLA sets up audit group to fight graft | SCMP.com – The People's Liberation Army yesterday established an audit work steering group aimed at eradicating corruption among troops, military media reported.
Defence spending has been maintained at a double-digit growth rate for most of the past two decades and would rise by 11.2 per cent this year to at least 670.3 billion yuan (HK$823.15 billion).
In January, a senior army officer was sacked after being implicated in "economic problems", a euphemism for corruption, according to sources in Beijing.
The first meeting of the steering group, chaired by General Logistics Department chief General Liao Xilong , was convened yesterday, the PLA Daily reported online.
Liao said the audit group had been set up under the auspices of the Central Military Commission and its chairman, President Hu Jintao , adding that the committee would strengthen China's military might and fight corruption.
- How It Works: World’s Fastest Elevator | Popular Science – The first commercial passenger elevator, installed by Otis Elevator Company in 1857, climbed 40 feet a minute. The elevators that Mitsubishi Electric are installing in China’s 2,000-foot-tall Shanghai Tower travel 59 feet a second. When construction is complete in 2014, the elevators will whisk passengers straight from the basement-level entrance to the observation deck near the top of the tower, a 1,855-foot journey, in less than a minute.
- 关于制止动乱和平息反革命暴乱的情况报告_中国人大网 – amazing what you find on sina weibo
- 实德的隐秘海外战线 – 经济观察网 － 专业财经新闻网站 – 导语：香港高登不仅是实德集团的一家海外投融资公司，也是实德集团与国外公司进行投资合作的重要平台，据悉，实德的绝大部分与国外公司的合作项目都由黎明伟及其负责的香港高登出面商谈。
- Fang Lizhi – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia – Fang Lizhi (simplified Chinese: 方励之; traditional Chinese: 方勵之; pinyin: Fāng Lìzhī; born February 12, 1936) is a professor of astrophysics and former vice-president of the University of Science and Technology of China whose liberal ideas inspired the pro-democracy student movement of 1986-87 and, finally, the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989. Because of the first, he was expelled from the Communist Party of China in January 1987.
During the Anti-Rightist Campaign Fang was expelled from the Communist Party of China and was imprisoned for a year during the Cultural Revolution for his "reactionary activities".:428 Namely publishing an article critical of the government's policies on science education.
- S.E.C. Charges Six Chinese Citizens With Insider Trading – NYTimes.com – The S.E.C.’s complaint, which was filed in a United States District Court in Chicago on Wednesday, alleges that six Chinese citizens – Siming Yang, Caiyin Fan, Shui Chong Chang, Biao Cang, Jia Wu, and Ming Ni – made more than $9 million by trading in the shares of Zhongpin Inc. ahead of the announcement of a management-led buyout offer last month. A British Virgin Islands-based entity formed by Mr. Yang, Prestige Trade Investments, was also named in the complaint.
According to the S.E.C.’s allegations, the defendants bought more than $20 million in stock and call options for Zhongpin’s shares between March 14 and March 26, just days before Zhongpin’s chief executive offered to take the company private for $13.50 per share. The announcement of that bid sent Zhongpin’s stock price up 22 percent.
- The Hindu : News / International : China asks Pakistan to hand over Uighur terrorists – Chinese authorities have asked Pakistan to hand over members of the extremist East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM) believed to be operating out of the country, naming six terror suspects in a list issued on Friday that described the group as the “most direct and real safety threat that China faces”.
The six men were “core members” of the ETIM, said the Ministry of Public Security in a statement. They were identified as Nurmemet Memetmin, Abdulkyum Kurban, Paruh Tursun, Tursunjan Ebibla, Nurmemet Raxit and Mamat Imin Nurmamat — all Uighurs, the ethnic Turkic Muslim minority from China's far-western Xinjiang region which borders Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK).
While the Ministry's statement stopped short of stating directly their links to terror camps in Pakistan — it only mentioned “a South Asian country” — a separate statement from the Chinese government issued last year identified Mr. Memetmin as having trained terrorists in Pakistan to carry out attacks in the city of Kashgar that left at least 20 people dead.
- William Farris – Google+ – On the First Anniversary of Ai Weiwei’s 2011 Detention -… – 司马南 one of the bigger tools to hit the internet in years. and a hypocrite, given his wife and kid live in the US
- William Farris – Google+ – Internet Provisions in China’s Proposed Amended Copyright… – On March 31, 2012, China's National Copyright Administration published a draft amended Copyright Law for comment. I have pasted the full text and translated two articles relevant to Internet operators below.
- Developers offer discounts – Xinhua | English.news.cn – More property developers are offering a variety of favorable terms to attract homebuyers at the ongoing Beijing Spring Property Expo – the barometer of the capital's real estate market.
According to the expo's organizer, a total of 45 property projects in Beijing are taking part in the event, and the biggest discount being offered is 8 percent.
Zheng Xiangdong, head of Beijing JiaHua Four Seasons International Exhibition Co Ltd, the organizer of the expo, pointed to an obvious increase in projects offering discounts.
"Most of the projects offered discounts ranging from 2 to 6 percent," said Zheng.
Meanwhile, some banks, especially those that have a good business relationship with leading property developers, are offering discounts of up to 15 percent on mortgages for first-time buyers.
- ‘Jackie Kennedy of China’ – WSJ.com – great article about Bo Xilai's wife, too bad about the headline//
an investigation by The Wall Street Journal shows that Ms. Gu Kailai has been involved in business activities spanning China, the U.S. and Britain over the past 20 years. She ran her own company, which she called Kailai in Chinese and the Law Office of Horus L. Kai in English. Horus is the name of the ancient Egyptian god of the sky, war and hunting.
She was involved in, and profited from, a firm called Horas Consultancy & Investment, which advised clients wanting to do business in China as the country's economy exploded in the 1990s, according to people familiar with the matter. She relied on a small entourage of advisers and friends that included Mr. Heywood, an American businessman named Larry Cheng and French architect Patrick Henri Devillers, all of whom became close to the Bo family in Dalian and Beijing, these people said.
- 河南郸城正县级干部之子街头射杀一小贩(图)_资讯频道_凤凰网 – official's kid SHOOTS street vendor in Henan
- 媒体：缺乏透明和监督 中国官员差旅费真相难明_资讯频道_凤凰网 –
- 官员财产公开“零投诉”隐忧_财经_凤凰网 –