- William Farris – Google+ – Bo Xilai’s Son Bo Guagua Joins His Parents on Baidu’s Strict Censorship Whitelist
- 薄妻谷开来有香港身份证和新加坡绿卡 Gu Kailai had a Hong Kong ID card and a Singapore Green Card?
- Muddy Waters – Narrated Frauducation on Fraud School, RINO, FSIN on Vimeo
- China’s Giant Tencent Placing Bets on Small Silicon Valley Startups – Bloomberg The allure of Silicon Valley has aroused China’s largest Internet company to begin investing in some of America’s smallest ones. Tencent Holdings has funded about a half dozen young startups, many of them from prestigious business incubator Y Combinator, hoping like everyone else that its relatively small investments will lead to big payoffs. One of its first seed investments is being put to the test today as Everyme, a new social network, opens its online doors. Tencent was the lead investor in the startup’s $1.5 million seed round, which closed in October, according to Everyme Chief Executive Officer Oliver Cameron. Everyme, based in Menlo Park, California, lets people share messages and photos with groups that are arranged automatically based on a user’s address book and Facebook activity. “We kind of agreed with their thesis that there’s a lot of value in the address book,” said David Wallerstein, a senior executive vice president for Tencent, who is based in Palo Alto, California. Other investors included Andreessen Horowitz, Greylock Partners, Ron Conway’s SV Angel and Michael Arrington’s CrunchFund.
- 4000万灰色利益链起底：北京彻查购房资格舞弊 – 产经快讯 – 21世纪网 核心提示：“目前的市场价是3万-10万不等，除非购房者自己内部能找到关系，可以拿下1.5万。”
- 人民日报-人民网 Bo Xilai Suspension makes front page pf People’s Daily
- Urgent Notice on Network and Information Security – China Digital Times (CDT) Urgent: Regarding Network and Information Security Starting today, according to a joint announcement from the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, Ministry of Public Security, and Ministry of Culture, all departments are to launch a real-name-registration based crackdown for network and information security between April 1, 2012 and August 1, 2012. During this period, all clients are to suspend all services involving unregistered domain names, content related to pornography, gambling, or drug, illegal discussion forums, and counter-political activities*. This will be a wide-range, large-scale, and long-lasting operation.
- ‘Goodbye Everybody': China’s Social Media Censors Battle the Bo Xilai Deluge – China Real Time Report – WSJ
- Shadow Banks on Trial as China’s Rich Sister Faces Death – Bloomberg When a Chinese court sentenced 28- year-old Wu Ying, known as “Rich Sister,” to death for taking $55.7 million from investors without paying them back, it sparked an unexpected firestorm that has drawn in China’s top leadership.
- Firmly support correct decision of CPC Central Committee: People’s Daily|chinadaily.com.cn Based on the facts made public so far, the Wang Lijun incident is a serious political event leaving very negative impacts at home and abroad, and the death of Neil Heywood is a serious criminal case involving the family and close staff of a Party and state leader, the article says. Bo has seriously violated the Party discipline, causing damage to the cause and the image of the Party and state, it says. The CPC Central Committee, with Hu Jintao as the general secretary, has resolutedly moved to investigate into related events, seriously handle the situation and inform the public promptly, displaying the strong sense of responsibility to the cause of the Party and people as well as firm commitment to the socialist rule of law. The facts have proven that the CPC stands for the people, accepts their supervision, never compromises on corruption and will probe and punish any violations of law and discipline, the article says.
- 人民日报评论员：坚决拥护党中央的正确决定_新闻中心_新浪网 我们要自觉把思想统一到中央精神上来，紧密团结在以胡锦涛同志为总书记的党中央周围，高举中国特色社会主义伟大旗帜，以邓小平理论和“三个代表”重要思想为指导，深入贯彻落实科学发展观，坚持稳中求进的工作总基调，聚精会神搞建设，一心一意谋发展，凝心聚力、攻坚克难，努力维护改革发展稳定的良好局面，奋力夺取全面建设小康社会新胜利，加快推进社会主义现代化，以优异成绩迎接党的十八大胜利召开。
- 人民日报:拥护党中央正确决定 -
- More journalists linked to case charging ex-CIA officer with leaks about interrogators – POLITICO.com -
- 中共中央决定对薄熙来同志严重违纪问题立案调查_新闻台_中国网络电视台 – the cctv announcement about bo
- Police reinvestigate death of Neil Heywood according to law – Xinhua | English.news.cn- BEIJING, April 10 (Xinhua) — Chinese police have set up a team to reinvestigate the case that British citizen Neil Heywood was found dead in Chongqing on Nov. 15, 2011, which was alleged by Wang Lijun who entered, without authorization, the U.S. general consulate in Chengdu on Feb. 6 and stayed there, Xinhua learned from authorities.Police authorities paid high attention to the case, and set up the team to reinvestigate the case according to law with an attitude to seek truth from facts.According to investigation results, Bogu Kailai, wife of Comrade Bo Xilai, and their son were in good terms with Heywood. However, they had conflict over economic interests, which had been intensified.According to reinvestigation results, the existing evidence indicated that Heywood died of homicide, of which Bogu Kailai and Zhang Xiaojun, an orderly at Bo’s home, are highly suspected.
Bogu Kailai and Zhang Xiaojun have been transferred to judicial authorities on suspected crime of intentional homicide.
According to senior officials from related authorities, China is a socialist country ruled by law, and the sanctity and authority of law shall not be tramped. Whoever has broken the law will be handled in accordance with law and will not be tolerated, no matter who is involved.
- Detained Party Official Facing Ouster From Politburo – NYTimes.com- Mr. Bo’s downfall was set in motion after his former police chief in Chongqing, Wang Lijun, sought refuge in the American consulate in nearby Chengdu for at least 30 hours after the two men had a falling out. He told consulate officials that he feared for his safety and handed over a highly technical police file, purporting to be an investigation into the death the previous November of a 41-year-old a British businessman, Neil Heywood, according to sources familiar with the matter.The sources said that Mr. Wang charged that Mr. Heywood, who was found dead in a Chongqing hotel room in November, was the victim of a poisoning plot by Mr. Bo’s wife, Gu Kailai.But Mr. Wang apparently revealed far more. Beyond evidence relating to Mr. Heywood, diplomats acquired a unprecedented trove of knowledge from Mr. Wang on the contest for power among the Chinese leadership, said another person with knowledge of the affair who refused to be identified because of the sensitivity of the matter. It was unclear whether those details were in documents that Mr. Wang brought with him, or emerged in discussions with the diplomats.
- CPC Central Committee to investigate into Bo Xilai’s serious violations – Xinhua | English.news.cn- BEIJING, April 10 (Xinhua) — As Comrade Bo Xilai is suspected of being involved in serious discipline violations, the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) has decided to suspend his membership of the CPC Central Committee Political Bureau and the CPC Central Committee, in line with the CPC Constitution and the rules on investigation of CPC discipline inspection departments.The Central Commission for Discipline Inspection of the CPC will file the case for investigation.
- China Web giants promise to fight rumors: Xinhua | Reuters – Three of China’s largest Internet companies have promised the government they will take steps to banish online rumors, state media said on Tuesday, as the ruling Communist Party fights jitters over a tricky leadership transition.
- 公安机关对尼尔伍德死亡案依法进行复查_新闻中心_新浪网 – 公安机关对尼尔伍德死亡案依法进行复查
http://www.sina.com.cn 2012年04月10日23:01 新华网
- 授权发布：中共中央决定对薄熙来同志严重违纪问题立案调查_新华网 – 新华社北京４月１０日电 鉴于薄熙来同志涉嫌严重违纪，中央决定，依据《中国共产党章程》和《中国共产党纪律检查机关案件检查工作条例》的有关规定，停止其担任的中央政治局委员、中央委员职务，由中共中央纪律检查委员会对其立案调查。
- Exclusive – China suspends Bo Xilai from party’s elite ranks – sources | Reuters- China’s Communist Party has suspended former high-flying politician Bo Xilai from its top ranks, four sources said on Tuesday, after a scandal that has shaken a looming leadership succession.The decision to banish Bo from the Central Committee and its Politburo effectively ends the career of China’s brashest and most controversial politician, whose downfall has kindled ideological tension and sparked opposition from leftist sympathisers who insist he is the victim of a plot.”Officials were told that Bo Xilai’s Politburo and Central Committee memberships were suspended. He cannot attend Politiburo and Central Committee activities,” said one of the sources, who was briefed on the matter.
- [视频]新浪 百度 腾讯等网站积极响应中国互联网协会倡议抵制网络谣言_新闻台_中国网络电视台 – Sina, Baidu and Tencent pledge obeisance to the anti-rumor campaign. what else could they do?
- 坠热水坑被烫伤女子去世 | 新浪微博-随时随地分享身边的新鲜事儿 -
- Lack of tolerance mars Web’s values- People sharing similar feelings gather online and strengthen the values that they uphold. The dark side of society has thus been amplified. Worse, online opinion has little tolerance of dissent. The strong censure of minority opinion has become a form of totalitarianism.Public opinion and even policy-making have been subject to the influence of cyber opinion. Society needs to have an objective view toward views expressed online.This is not to deny the progress brought by Internet in advancing freedom of speech. But the disorder and misperceptions of the cyber world need to be confronted.
- [视频]本台短评：遏制网络谣言 还得防字当头_新闻台_中国网络电视台 -
- [视频]法律专家表示: 完善法律法规 加大惩处编造、传播谣言者力度_新闻台_中国网络电视台 -
- [视频]中国互联网协会发出倡议书 呼吁互联网行业抵制网络谣言依法文明办网_新闻台_中国网络电视台 – more from cctv evening news on cracking down on internet rumors. bet real name crackdown coming; too lax so far
- Will Instagram Help Facebook Crack China? – China Real Time Report – WSJ – bet instagram blocked here by the weekend
- Dalian Businessman Who Built An Empire Vanishes – Caixin Online – xu ming and shide//
However, Xu’s disappearance and the dark clouds hanging over Shide Group have many in Dalian nervous. “Until it becomes clear whether the authorities intend to use Shide as a breach to hunt down people behind it, every government official and business person in Dalian feels imperiled,” said a local bank executive, who declined to be named.
- 姚晨探访非洲 新浪微博-随时随地分享身边的新鲜事儿 – i love yao chen
- China Unexpectedly Reports Trade Surplus – Bloomberg – China reported an unexpected trade surplus last month as import growth trailed forecasts, underscoring risks of a deeper slowdown in the world’s second- largest economy.
Inbound shipments increased 5.3 percent, the customs bureau said today, below the 9 percent median estimate in a Bloomberg News survey. Exports rose 8.9 percent from a year earlier, more than forecast, leaving a trade surplus of $5.35 billion, compared with a median projection for a $3.15 billion trade deficit.
- China rights lawyer jailed for 2 years, 8 months | Reuters – A Chinese court sentenced a disabled lawyer renowned for defending people evicted from their homes to two years and eight months in prison on Tuesday for causing a disturbance and fraud, Beijing’s latest use of a controversial law to stifle dissent.
The lawyer, Ni Yulan, and her husband, Dong Jiqin, were detained in April 2011 and later convicted of the charges. Rights activists contend the charges were trumped up in an effort to silence the couple.
- Behind the Myitsone dam suspension: background to Myanmar’s decision to shelve China’s hydropower scheme on the Irrawaddy River | chinadialogue -
- Behind the Myitsone dam suspension: background to Myanmar’s decision to shelve China’s hydropower scheme on the Irrawaddy River | chinadialogue – China’s resolve not to interfere in its neighbour’s “internal affairs” rings hollow: the country has played a formative role in Burmese history, writes Qin Hui.
- Behind the Myitsone dam suspension: background to Myanmar’s decision to shelve China’s hydropower scheme on the Irrawaddy River | chinadialogue – After the decision to shelve a China-funded hydropower plant on the Irrawaddy River caused uproar in Beijing, Qin Hui set off south to learn about the project and its opponents. He opens a three-part article.
- Video Is Lifeblood of Li-Ning’s ‘New China’ Sneaker Launch | ClickZ – Li-Ning, the Beijing-based sports company started by the Chinese Olympic medal-winning gymnast of the same name, is pushing into the U.S. market- backyard of Nike -using digital media, e-commerce and event marketing. Eschewing retail channels, the company is only selling its sneakers and apparel online, primarily through its dedicated e-commerce site.
- 俄罗斯将与越南联合开发南海两个大型天然气田_新闻_腾讯网 -
- 张春贤：望土耳其继续阻止东突从事反华活动_新闻_腾讯网 -
- Baidu is not a condom, rules court – People’s Daily Online – A Shenzhen-based condom company must stop branding its products with “Baidu,” Beijing No.1 Intermediate People’s Court ruled yesterday, in favor of the condom’s namesake search engine company.
- Iran plans to unplug the Internet, launch its own “clean” alternative- One of the details addressed in that report is the Iranian government’s bizarre plan to create its own “clean” Internet. The proposed system, an insular nation-wide intranet that is isolated from the regular Internet, will be heavily regulated by the government. According to a report published today by the International Business Times, Iranian government officials have announced that the new system will be ready to deploy within five months.Reporters Without Borders drew attention to Iran’s national Internet plan when it was first proposed in 2011. In addition to developing its own Intranet system, the Iranian government is also creating its own custom electronic mail service and a national search engine called Ya Haq (Oh Just One) that is intended to replace Google. In order to obtain an account on the state-approved mail service, users will have to register their identity with the government.
- Xfire Hires Former Groupon/Tencent Exec As CEO, Now Supports Chinese Language In-Game Chat | TechCrunch- sounds like xfire fell for the “we have an exclusive deal w communist youth league” jv partner pitch..seen many over the years, all bs//Xfire has had a bumpy road over the last five-plus years. Back in 2006, Viacom bought Xfire for $102 million. In 2010, Titan Gaming took over ownership. Then, in October of last year, Xfire raising an additional $4M from Intel Capital and split off to become its own independent company. Again. Full-circle, and somewhat back to “square one” in just about five years. But not without some progress, as Xfire today continues to connect more than six million gamers each month, allowing them to share video, pictures and chat in-games. Looking to capitalize on its growing user base, Xfire today appointed a new CEO, Malcolm CasSelle, and announced a new partnership through which it intends to bring its social gaming experience to China, along with the exploding gaming markets across Asia.
- 消息称高朋在华落败拟重组：或将与F团合并_中国经济网??国家经济门户 – groupon china jv gaopeng about to collapse in2 a “merger”?
- 京PM2.5监测不专找干净地 – 头版 -新京报电子报 -
- Top court rules on home demolition rights|Politics|chinadaily.com.cn – Courts can turn down government requests to demolish housing, if the compensation for residents is deemed unfair, the Supreme People’s Court ruled on Monday.
The latest judicial interpretation by the country’s top court, effective from Tuesday, supplements the existing regulation on urban home demolition, which was revised last year.
- 制造业用工、薪酬双降 珠三角现“假性用工荒”？ – 宏观 – 21世纪网 -
- 党报文章称劳工工资大幅上涨 收入差距逐渐缩小_新闻_腾讯网 -
- 最高法：房屋征收补偿不公平禁止强拆_新闻_腾讯网 -
- China Sends Another Warning to Banks – WSJ.com- In a fresh sign of official displeasure with the nation’s state-run banking system, China’s bank regulator has warned lenders they will be “severely punished” for charging excessive fees.In a notice on its website dated Friday, the China Banking Regulatory Commission said it began an investigation into bank fees on April 1, adding that banks that are found to be charging high fees for routine services will be punished. It didn’t elaborate on how it defines high fees or what the punishment would be.
- In Asia, Fickle Millionaires Vex Banks – WSJ.com – The private bankers who have descended on Asia hoping to tap into the world’s fastest expanding pool of millionaires are finding that those clients aren’t very big on relationships.
- Herbal remedy blamed for high cancer rate in Taiwan: study – Yahoo! News Canada – A toxic ingredient in a popular herbal remedy is linked to more than half of all cases of urinary tract cancer in Taiwan where use of traditional medicine is widespread, said a US study Monday.
Aristolochic acid (AA) is a potent human carcinogen that is found naturally in Aristolochia plants(马兜铃), an ingredient common in botanical Asian remedies for aiding weight loss, easing joint pain and improving stomach ailments.
The ancient herb has been touted around the world for thousands of years for everything from gout to childbirth, but scientists now know it carries serious risks of causing kidney disease and urinary cancers.
- China strategy and M&A advisory – We are a strategic advisory firm specializing in China-related M&A. We have deep practical experience of acquisitions and alliances in China, with special expertise in acquisition target search and commercial due diligence. Read more…
- Is Mike Wallace the reason Chinese leaders don’t give interviews? | FP Passport -
- 郑州担保乱象：资产处置“暗箱” – 经济观察网 － 专业财经新闻网站 – 郑州担保乱象：资产处置“暗箱”
Subscribe to the Sinocism China Newsletter email. Free