- William Farris – Google+ – Another Protest, Another City Is Censored by Sina Weibo -… –
- Real-name registration crucial to microblog|Hot Issues|chinadaily.com.cn – BEIJING – It is an undeniable fact that Twitter-like microblogging services, or weibo, are developing rapidly in China.
Seven microblogging sites with nearly 600 million accounts have opened in Beijing since the first post appeared on Sina Weibo three years ago. As many as 85 million microblog posts are currently uploaded on Sina Weibo each day.
A microblogging service spreads information instantly and is a very interactive platform, which has facilitated business, social exchanges, education and daily communication.
Rumors, false information and slander can also sometimes circulate in the weibo platform, leaving users open to being misled, cheated or even victimized.
Moreover, irresponsible or sensational remarks, which easily attract the attention of Internet users, can sometimes overshadow sincere and rational statements — an issue that has amplified the voices calling for better weibo management.
- Toy orders plunge amid Western downturn|Economy|chinadaily.com.cn – SHENZHEN – Most of the toy businesses in southern China’s export-oriented city of Shenzhen have seen 20-30-percent drops in overseas orders this year due to the economic downturns in Europe and the United States, a local industry group official said Tuesday
- Tudou Announces Appointment of New Chief Financial Officer | Reuters – IPO just 4 months ago, serious Red flag $tudo
- Apple IPad Dust Linked to Blast in China, Labor Watch Says – Businessweek –
- 胡锦涛等中国领导人赴朝鲜驻华使馆吊唁金正日_新闻_腾讯网 –
- China to install copyrighted software in all government organs by 2012 – Xinhua | English.news.cn –
- China Will Compensate Land Grab Victims in Blockaded Village – Businessweek – China promised to compensate victims of illegal land grabs in the southern Chinese village of Wukan, where a standoff over past development deals and the death of a local butcher entered its tenth day.
- Lone Wukan report in China’s press – China Media Project– The following report, printed on page 16 of today’s Nanfang Daily, the official newspaper of the Guangdong Provincial Committee of the CCP, is the only news report in China’s press today on the ongoing stand-off between villagers and authorities in Wukan Village.The report is essentially an announcement by the top Party leader in the prefectural-level city of Shanwei that the negotiations for an end to tensions will now be principally the business of Shanwei, not of Lufeng, the county in which Wukan Village is located. The bottom line: this hot potato has been bumped up a level on the Party power ladder.
- 重庆啤酒金字塔崩塌_杂志频道_财新网 – crazy story about chongqing brewery
- Share Reform, then Turnaround for Founder – Caixin Online – Founder Group was one of dozens of moneymaking enterprises owned and operated by the prestigious Peking University.
Li You was a successful businessman, trained as an accountant, and a talented financier whose stock market plays made him rich.
The two converged a decade ago when Li was named vice president of Founder’s listed subsidiary. He rose to CEO of the group three years later, and then became a major stakeholder as part of the company’s successful shareholder reform initiative.
Since then, the convergence has paid off mightily. Founder, whose businesses range from computer manufacturing to health care services, this year reported net assets of 23 billion yuan, up from 150 million yuan in 2003.
Against this backdrop of financial success, questions have been raised about stakes in Founder subsidiaries personally controlled by Li and others tied to company management.
- Fresh Breeze for China’s Securities Regulator – Caixin Online – Long-awaited changes that could streamline China’s securities markets have arrived with a new chairman, Guo Shuqing
- Governments in a Hole as Land Sales Plummet – Caixin Online – House-price controls have succeeded, but a subsequent property market slowdown is chilling China’s local governments…
Financially sound cities such as Beijing are said to be able to bear the pressure of falling land revenues. But some second- and third-tier cities apparently cannot.
A source at a state-owned property firm in one provincial capital told Caixin that local agencies don’t have enough money to cover basic healthcare costs or pay teachers.
“City officials are coming to us and asking us to buy land to bolster the land market,” said the source, who declined to be identified because of the issue’s sensitivity. He said his company in November complied with a local officials’ order to buy a 900,000 square-meter site “whether we wanted to or not.”
- Lie by Lie: A Timeline of How We Got Into Iraq | Mother Jones –
- 2010-North Korea’s Military parade in Slow Motion – YouTube– The Hermit Kingdom allowed international media to watch its largest ever military parade – part of the campaign to establish Kim Jong-il’s youngest son as the leader-in-waiting. Video by Dan Chung and Tania Branigan.
- Shut Down the Communist Party’s Rest Home Villas_From Caixin’s Blog__Blog_English_Caixin – Three things are exclusive to the privileged: power, women and rest home villas.
The rest home villas in Beidaihe are a case in point. There, over 100 central government villas occupy the best coastal land in the Beidaihe area, alternatievly functioning as nursing homes or rest houses. The remaining ten percent of space along the coast goes to shopping malls, privately-owned hotels, small restaurants and villages. Even the majority of local Beidaihe residents have probably never had an opportunity to visit these villas, despite having lived there for several decades.
These rest home villas, however, have recently fallen on hard times. According to a December 6 China Economic Weekly report, the central government’s nursing villas now need nearly one billion yuan in financial support.
- CBD终局难了_杂志频道_财新网 –
- 集便器中间人王兴_杂志频道_财新网 – 王兴到美国后还用过英文名Julia Wang。她的生意在国内。有接近张曙光的人士说，张被抓之时，王兴还在深圳。她很少以本名示人，多顶着“张曙光老婆”的头衔在北车、南车的采购圈里活动。
- 张曙光的秘密_专题频道_财新网 – caixin on the corruption of railway official zhang shuguang, includes pictures of his house in california
- EAI-Weibo and “Iron Curtain 2.0” in China: Who Is Winning the Cat-and-Mouse Game? –
- FBI Runs ‘Perfect Hedge’ to Nab Inside Traders – Bloomberg– and they have yet to touch any of the firms who have made a lot of money in china//This is the behind-the-scenes story of that historic, sprawling, nationwide insider-trading initiative by those who ran it.
Over the next five years, the operation by the New York offices of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Manhattan U.S. Attorney led to prosecutions that disrupted multiple rings of illegal trading by portfolio managers, bankers and consultants. It is the biggest insider trading investigation since the days of Ivan Boesky and Michael Milken, and the largest ever in the world of hedge funds.
- Secrecy defines Obama’s drone war – The Washington Post –
- Formosa Plastics Founder’s Son Wong Sues Seeking $4 Billion – Businessweek – Winston Wong, son of Formosa Plastics Group’s late founder Wang Yung-ching, sued in Hong Kong to recover more than $4 billion in assets for the estate of his father, once Taiwan’s richest man.
- China Sports-Apparel Company Li Ning Reworks U.S. Strategy – WSJ.com –
- Kim Jong Eun: Portrait of New Leader Takes Shape – WSJ.com – A senior U.S. official said intelligence analysts believe, for instance, that Kim Jung Eun “tortured small animals” when he was a youth. “He has a violent streak and that’s worrisome,” a senior U.S. official said, summing up the U.S. assessments.
- Baidu’s Top Ten New Internet Phrases of 2011 –
- Hedge fund alarm bells are ringing over China – FT.com –
- Victor Cha-Will North Korea Become China’s Newest Province? – NYTimes.com – NORTH KOREA as we know it is over. Whether it comes apart in the next few weeks or over several months, the regime will not be able to hold together after the untimely death of its leader, Kim Jong-il. How America responds — and, perhaps even more important, how America responds to how China responds — will determine whether the region moves toward greater stability or falls into conflict.
- Sanya Home Bubble Pops as Curbs Deflate Prices in China’s Hawaii – Businessweek –
- Rein: Are China’s Wealthy Pulling Back on Spending? – CNBC – The results show the ultra rich, people worth more than $10 million, are actually getting richer and remain very confident about their earning ability and those worth more than one million dollars also reported being very confident. The vast majority reported that they planned to spend at the same or higher level in 2012. One businessman in the services sector in Shanghai told me, “The economic problems are serious but we expect profits to rise by 30 percent next year. Even if profits don’t go up, I plan on spending at the same levels or more.”
- Beijing’s controversial “English-language town” abandoned – Xinhua | English.news.cn– The controversial “English-language town” project in Miyun, a county in the northeast suburbs of Beijing, has not been approved by the local government, sources said Monday.”Relevant departments argued the project and decided not to approve it,” an unnamed spokesman with the Miyun county government said without providing further details.
- Fishing — and normal life — on hold in Wukan, China | McClatchy –
- 社科院：限娱令加速电视受众转向网络_互联网_DoNews-IT门户-移动互联网新闻-电子商务新闻-游戏新闻-风险投资新闻-IT社交网络社区 –
- 政务微博热背后：新浪股价因政策风向大起大落_互联网_DoNews-IT门户-移动互联网新闻-电子商务新闻-游戏新闻-风险投资新闻-IT社交网络社区 –
Subscribe to the Free Sinocism China Newsletter! Enter Your Email In The Box Below And Start Getting Smarter About China.