- China Digital Media Readings for February 20th | DigiCha –
- 山西大同副市长因未满足妻兄调工作要求被杀害_新闻_腾讯网 – someone should do show on the Shanxi Sopranos
- 体育总局局长刘鹏被曝乘军舰赴西沙钓鱼(图)_新闻_腾讯网 – nice use of PLAN resources. fishing in the paracels by head of sports bureau
- Pressures Drive Change at China’s Electronics Giant Foxconn – NYTimes.com – The announcement Saturday that Foxconn Technology — one of the world’s largest electronics manufacturers — will sharply raise salaries and reduce overtime at its Chinese factories signals that pressure from workers, international markets and concerns among Western consumers about working conditions is driving a fundamental shift that could accelerate an already rapidly changing Chinese economy.
- China’s Loans to Latin America: Few Blank Checks? – China Real Time Report – WSJ – “While Chinese banks do not seek to reform their borrowers with Western-style policy conditionality, they attach other strings in an effort to mitigate loan risks,” it says. “We found conditions in every loan [excluding some small loans-for-oil] requiring the borrower to purchase Chinese construction, oil, telecommunications, satellite, and train equipment.”
Those conditions are hardly onerous. With Chinese machinery in such sectors often cheaper than comparable goods made elsewhere, borrowers are often more than happy to buy Chinese goods, the report said.
But while Chinese products might be cheap, the loans on offer don’t necessarily come at knock-down prices.
- Looking 4 Chinese Social Media X-pert 4 consult –
- Zhou Ruijin: reform and the way forward – China Media Project –
- 浙江富豪楼忠福 向死而生 – 人物动态 – 21世纪网 –
- 万科毒地板劫后余生：撬开地板业的劣纹 – 消费·传媒 – 21世纪网 – Vanke may have massive problem w "poison" flooring used in 1000s of units
- Special Report: Myanmar declares war on opium – Yahoo! News – TAR PU VILLAGE, Shan State, Myanmar (Reuters) – In Myanmar's new war on drugs, meet the weapon of mass destruction: the weed-whacker.
Its two-stroke engine spins a metal blade, which is more commonly deployed to tame the suburban gardens of wealthy Westerners. But today, in a remote valley in impoverished Shan State, Myanmar police armed with weed-whackers are advancing through fields of thigh-high poppies, leaving a carpet of stems in their wake.
- China paper says West stirring up civil war in Syria – Yahoo! News – Communist Party mouthpiece the People's Daily, in a front page commentary in its overseas edition, said China must stick to its line in opposing any attempt to force regime change or intervene in Syria.
"If Western countries continue to fully support Syria's opposition, then in the end a large-scale civil war will erupt and there will be no way to thus avoid the possibility of foreign armed intervention," Qu Xing, who the paper identified as a foreign affairs expert, wrote in the piece.
- Combining Social Media with E-Commerce, New Model of Monetization for Sina Weibo | 八八吧 :: 88 Bar – Sina Weibo (China’s leading microblog platform )and Ctrip (China’s leading online travel service provider) just announced their new collaboration through which you can find good hotel and flight deals from Ctrip by simply posting your travel requests on Sina Weibo (similar to Twits) then @Ctrip. I tried it by using my android phone to post [email protected], within several seconds I got suggestion about hotels and links to webpages on Ctrip where I can read more and make reservation.
- On the “Superior” Political Model | ChinaGeeks | analysis and translation of modern China –
- Walmart Ups Its Investment In Chinese E-Commerce Giant Yihaodian | TechCrunch – Walmart is announcing this evening that it has upped its investment in Yihaodian, a massive B2C e-commerce company based in China. Wal-mart, which originally funded the retail giant last year, has made another undisclosed investment in Yihaodian to bring Walmart’s total ownership stake to approximately 51 percent.
- 奢侈动车_专题频道_财新网 – caixin cover story looks at the crazy procurement outlays (aka corruption) in high speed rail
- Kevin Rudd is a Happy Little Vegemite – YouTube – kevin rudd outtake about a chinese speech
- Wynn Resorts Redeems Okada’s Stake After Freeh Bribery Probe – Businessweek – Wynn Resorts Ltd. bought out its largest shareholder at a 31 percent discount and asked him to quit the board after a probe by the casino operator uncovered allegedly improper payments to Philippine gambling officials.
Former Nevada Governor Robert Miller and Louis Freeh, the ex-director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, investigated claims that Kazuo Okada violated U.S. anti-corruption laws and uncovered cash payments and gifts valued at about $110,000 to gambling regulators, Las Vegas-based Wynn Resorts said today in a statement.
- Police probe kindergarten penis jab claims — Shanghai Daily – POLICE are investigating a Beijing kindergarten after a three-year-old's parents accused a teacher of injecting their son's penis with an unknown substance that left the boy ill.
The head of the privately-owned kindergarten, surnamed Jiang, told Beijing media that the teacher, surnamed Wang, had argued about her salary beforehand.
Wang, who is in her 20s, resigned on the same day as the alleged incident and has completely denied the accusation.
Subscribe to the Free Sinocism China Newsletter! Enter Your Email In The Box Below And Start Getting Smarter About China.