- China vows closer military ties with ally North Korea amid lingering tensions on peninsula – The Washington Post –
- U.S.-China tension spills over into Asia summit | Reuters –
- China’s Wen warns outside forces off sea dispute | Reuters –
- China Bashing on the Campaign Trail – Businessweek – Presidential candidates love to talk tough about Beijing—until they get elected
- Apple stays quiet on environmental concerns in China | Marketplace from American Public Media –
- Behind Murakami’s Mirror by Charles Baxter | The New York Review of Books –
- Xinjiang Is Changing the Way China Uses and Profits From Energy | China Private Equity –
- Beleaguering Baidu: Qihoo and Tencent Eye Search Market | TechNode | TechNode –
- China Hunts for Brazilian Gold Acquisition – Bloomberg –
- Clinton to Visit Myanmar Next Month, Obama Says – NYTimes.com – BANGKOK — Citing “flickers of progress” in Myanmar’s political climate, President Obama announced Friday that he was sending Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton on a visit next month, the first by a secretary of state in more than 50 years.
- Illegal Chinese fishing invites paramilitary action-INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily – Chinese fishing boats, illegally operating in Korea’s exclusive economic zone, try to escape on Wednesday as a patrol helicopter of the Coast Guard’s West Regional Headquarters chases them in the Yellow Sea 160 kilometers (100 miles) west of Ochong Island in Gunsan, North Jeolla. The Coast Guard said it captured 12 of the 13 boats spotted and 126 Chinese sailors in the operation, which involved 12 patrol ships, four aircraft and 20 SWAT team members. By Oh Jong-chan
- Guest post: China must not loosen policy too quickly | beyondbrics | News and views on emerging markets from the Financial Times – FT.com– If the PBOC were to ease less than one year before the beginning of tightening, when inflation spikes the next time, firms, especially connected SOEs, will continue to leverage and invest without pause, thus rendering PBOC tightening powerless.Sure, some firms are hurting, but without the hurt, central bank tightening would not be credible.
- Congress Fears Chinese Telecom Gear May Phone Home | Danger Room | Wired.com– because they know american gear can?//Are telecommuniations deals with China good business — or a trojan horse for espionage? Some of Congress’ top intelligence officials are worried it’s the latter. And they’re launching an investigation to find out.
Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Mich.), chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence (HPSCI), and the committee’s top Democrat, Rep. Dutch Ruppersberger, announced on Thursday that their committee will look into the potential for Chinese telecommunications equipment — like commercial servers, routers and switches — to help China spy on the United States.
- Reuters-China’s newest export: Internet censorship | David Rohde – doesn’t really get into the possibility that China has already developed all the software and hardware necessary to run the great firewall and are actually now exporting their indigenous solutions
Subscribe to the Free Sinocism China Newsletter! Enter Your Email In The Box Below And Start Getting Smarter About China.