"Sinocism is the Presidential Daily Brief for China hands"- Evan Osnos, New Yorker Correspondent and National Book Award Winner
If you like this free daily roundup you can subscribe to it either through RSS or email. See the links to either option at the top right of the page. And if you really like it feel free to donate through the button on the top right.
- 新疆4人传播滴血传播艾滋病谣言被处罚——百度新闻搜索 –
- U.S. Congressman Dana Rohrabacher : 46th District Of California – Rep. Rohrabacher Introduces Bill to Counter Communist Chinese State Media Advantage in the U.S.
- ‘Near Poor’ – Not Quite in Poverty, but Still Struggling – NYTimes.com – When the Census Bureau this month released a new measure of poverty, meant to better count disposable income, it began altering the portrait of national need. Perhaps the most startling differences between the old measure and the new involves data the government has not yet published, showing 51 million people with incomes less than 50 percent above the poverty line. That number of Americans is 76 percent higher than the official account, published in September. All told, that places 100 million people — one in three Americans — either in poverty or in the fretful zone just above it.
- Pan Tianshou – China culture –
- ‘OMG Meiyu,’ a breakout hit Web show, schools Chinese in American slang – The Washington Post –
- OMG美语的微博 新浪微博-随时随地分享身边的新鲜事儿 – OMG美语
- (3) OMG! 美语 –
- Lady Laowai: Women foreigners who have inspirational Chinese ~ Lost Laowai China Blog –
- Navy’s next stop in Asia will set China on edge – Checkpoint Washington – The Washington Post – If China is unhappy with the Obama administration’s decision to send a handful of Marines to northern Australia, wait until the U.S. Navy starts basing warships in Singapore, on the edge of the disputed waters of the South China Sea.
- China Finally Expands Online Train Ticket Sales to Non-High Speed Trains | Tech in Asia –
- VP of China Operations, Shelton Liu, Discusses the Features of Net Optics’ Gig Zero Delay Tap – YouTube –
- Chinese Site for Net Optics, Inc. | Architecting Visibility Into Your Network (TM) –
- Net Optics, Inc. | Architecting Visibility Into Your Network (TM) – and spying on you wherever you are
- The Surveillance Catalog – The Wall Street Jounral – NetOptics-case study on site that describes helping "major mobile operator in China" conduct "real-time monitoring" of cellphone net content
- Document Trove Exposes Surveillance Methods – WSJ.com –
- The Surveillance Catalog – The Wall Street Journal – Documents obtained by The Wall Street Journal open a rare window into a new global market for the off-the-shelf surveillance technology that has arisen in the decade since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.
The techniques described in the trove of 200-plus marketing documents include hacking tools that enable governments to break into people’s computers and cellphones, and "massive intercept" gear that can gather all Internet communications in a country.
The documents—the highlights of which are cataloged and searchable here—were obtained from attendees of a secretive surveillance conference held near Washington, D.C., last month