Just links today:
- Analysis: China policy chiefs swallow hard in growth boost bid | Reuters China’s government is engaged in the economic equivalent of holding its nose and swallowing nasty medicine, dosing up on investment spending, local government debt and real estate sales to push up growth.
- 9款矿产信托规模超10亿 中诚中信应高度警惕|矿产信托|中诚信托|中信信托_21世纪网
- Qianlong’s secret garden |Heritage |chinadaily.com.cn
- Internet words in new lexicon |Society |chinadaily.com.cn A newly revised Chinese dictionary was published on Sunday, reflecting large changes in the language over the past seven years. Some new words frequently used online, such as geili (awesome), leiren (shocking), zhainan (indoorsy man) and zhainu (indoorsy woman), have been added to the sixth edition of the Contemporary Chinese Dictionary, the authoritative Chinese language dictionary and a reference work on modern standard Chinese.
- Food safety fears gnaw at intl stores |Society |chinadaily.com.cn
Chinese parents spooked by a series of food safety scandals are importing baby formula from overseas in a trend that is causing milk powder supplies to dwindle across the globe.Paranoid parents are tapping into China’s massive diaspora, asking family and friends living abroad to send milk powder and baby food. Those without international connections are paying courier services to buy and send the products to China.
- 30-vessel fishing fleet arrives in Nansha |Society |chinadaily.com.cn
A Chinese fishing boat fishes under the escort of Chinese fishery administration vessels, Yuzheng 310, in waters off the Fiery Cross Reef in the South China Sea on July 15. A Chinese fleet comprised of 30 fishing boats departed from Sanya port of South China’s Hainan province on July 12. After sailing for more than 70 hours around the clock, they arrived at the destination at 3:56 pm Sunday. They are expected to stay for five to ten days for fishing
- 人民日报-鄂尔多斯市出台规定，借贷信息上传网络平台 民间借贷风险“网”得住吗（政策聚焦·关注民间借贷）
- 人民日报-发展观嬗变的重大突破 ——中国道路的十年探索之二
- US must refrain from acting as ‘preacher for democracy’ – People’s Daily Online
Who grants the United States the right to haughtily appraise Asia’s democratic position? Americans may think it is a silly question, but it is exactly this question that may cause America’s “return to Asia” strategy to fail.
- China trains government spokesmen – People’s Daily Online
A national training session for spokesmen from multiple government departments concluded Friday, with the officials receiving training to help them deal with the media.
price list for buying official positions exposed in corruption trial of former inner mongolia vice chairman liu zhuozhi. liu got life in jail, did not appeal
- 北大校长周其凤回乡祝母90大寿 长跪膝前落泪_网易新闻
- China Stimulus – Business Insider
A prediction made by many China observers early in the year went like this: The Chinese economy would slow through the first half, then Beijing would step on the gas pedal and numbers would start to rebound.
The first parts of the prediction are coming true.
- Labor Shortage May Help China Adjust to Slower Growth – WSJ.com
see requests for raises almost weekly in the small businesses into which i have visibility//
Wages are still climbing rapidly in China and many companies are having trouble filling jobs despite the sharp economic slowdown here—evidence of a structural shortage in the labor market that may help China adjust to slower growth without political instability and whet consumer appetites for foreign goods.Reflecting the tight labor market, wage income for urban households rose 13% year-on-year in the first half, and average monthly income for migrant workers rose 14.9%, according to data from China’s National Bureau of Statistics. A labor ministry survey of 91 cities in the first quarter showed demand for workers outstripping supply by a record amount, pointing to low unemployment.
- China Has Three Biggest Increases in Global Office Costs: CBRE – Bloomberg
but it is all just a beijing real estate bubble, so the bears say. they would be wrong, at least in the case of the beijing office market//
Business districts in Beijing and Guangzhou had the biggest increases in office occupancy costs globally in the first quarter, according to a report by CBRE Group Inc. (CBG), the world’s largest commercial realtor.
- 天安门“清场” 十八大或10月召开破延期论_多维新闻网
- AFP: China on alert as disease outbreak kills 112 in June
been epidemic in DC this year as well//
The Chinese province of Hunan urged parents on Sunday to seek immediate treatment for children showing symptoms of hand, foot and mouth disease after official figures showed 112 people died from the illness last month.
- China builds most ecologically friendly cities – USATODAY.com
Designed to be low-carbon and energy-saving, China is building more eco-cities, as they are known, than any other country, according to a survey by the University of Westminster in London. The United States ranked second.
- The return of activist journalism in China – FT.com
Their names sometimes appear still in the licensed newspapers or broadcasters but they are also in underground newspapers, independent documentaries, alternative publications and, most prominently, online. In the past decade, reform-minded journalists have vigorously pursued so-called “investigative journalism”; tighter limits now push them into activism. This will be one of the front lines in this new age of political uncertainty. We are determined not to retreat.
Haiyan Wang is a former investigative reporter for the Southern Metropolitan Daily in Guangzhou. She wrote this with John Lloyd, FT contributing editor
- Mandarin Segments: “Write on!!” – reviewing Skritter for iOS
- Wen Warns China Economic Rebound Not Stable, Xinhua Says – Bloomberg
China’s Premier Wen Jiabao warned the momentum for a recovery in economic growth isn’t yet in place and that “difficulties” may persist for a while, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.
Even so, the current pace of economic expansion is within the targeted range and government measures to stabilize growth are “bearing fruit,” the premier said during an inspection tour in southwest Sichuan province, according to a Chinese- language report from Xinhua. The article didn’t mention government policies toward the property market.
- Japan’s China Envoy Returns to Tokyo for Isles Talks, NHK Says – Bloomberg
Japanese Ambassador Uchiro Niwa left China today to report to the government on recent developments concerning disputed islands in the East China Sea, public broadcaster NHK reported.
- Five tough truths about US-China relations – China is trying to supplant the US as the leading military and political power in Asia. – CSMonitor.com
The more American and Chinese officials proclaim their innocent intentions toward each other, the deeper the level of mistrust they generate. China watchers worry about strategic miscalculation by one side or the other.
Understatement, subtlety, and nuance are the hallmarks of diplomacy and are Washington’s preferred tools for avoiding confrontation with China. But when professions of benign intent don’t reflect actions and policies, the parties can actually increase mutual suspicion.
Official candor on five key truths about US-China relations will likely contribute to a more mature bilateral relationship and could help halt a potential slide to conflict.
- Why China Should End Its Draconian, Counterproductive One-Child Policy – Atlantic Mobile
- 明鏡新聞網: 北戴河會議或7月下旬召開
We’ll see about beidaihe. Interesting gossip about jiang zemin
- What Twitter Can Learn From Weibo: Field Notes From Global Tech Ethnographer Tricia Wang | Fast Company
- Slideshow: China Through The Instagram Lens Of Tech Ethnographer Tricia Wang | Fast Company
Digest powered by RSS Digest